Friday, January 28, 2011

C&C does the 2nd Annual Cupcake Throwdown

Somewhere down The Drive exists a magical place. On any other normal day, it's Cafe Deux Soleils; a wonderful little vegetarian joint that does one hell of a good brunch. But, once a year, it transforms into something amazing. Fifteen bakers join forces to create a haven for cake and frosting. Though these young pastry chefs have grand powers that are immeasurable to mankind, they would never use such things for evil. No, on that night, they use them for pure good. United, the bakers would call on the masses to raise funds for an great local charity - the H.A.V.E. Cafe. In return for the crowd's generosity, the bakers gave them a taste of pure happiness.

In cupcake form.

Throwdown (7)


Though we didn't show up in tights and capes (though I totally wanted to), Mr. C and I were very happy to be part of such an great charity event. We got free reign to bake up anything our little hearts desire to share with the public. Plus, we got to taste some absolutely gobstopping treats from a dozen other bakers.

Now pictures to make you jealous:


Throwdown (9)


Adorable sweet potato carrot cupcakes by our Burnaby neighbour, Dolce Delight. I think I stuffed my face with like three of these. They got third place!


Throwdown (3)


Yes, those or individual, handmade hot pink maroons. The mastermind behind Picture Perfect Cakes is for sure Wonder Woman in disguise. These little beauties won top prize in decorating - and rightly so!


Throwdown (14)


My absolute favourites of the night - Vegan Cardamom Carrot and Cashew Cream Cheese Cupcake by the lovely Le Gateau. And, good news, she has posted her yummy recipe up on her yummy blog! Yessssssssssss.


Throwdown (6)


Mr.C grabbed me one of these during the very end of the night. I had no idea what they were, or who they were by (please let me know so I can give them credit!), but it was gooey and chocolatey and it was on a spoon, so I could stuff my face even faster.


Throwdown (8)

Lime-Coconut cupcakes. I, sadly did not get to try one, but they won second place overall. I am really crushed I didn't get my dirty little paws on one before they vanished into the pie holes of others.


Throwdown (5)

Yay! Rainbows! And, peaking out of the left hand corner is the amazing Twisted S'more cupcakes. There was graham cracker and chocolate baked right into the crust. Be still my heart.

And, what did we offer up, you ask?


Throwdown (15)


We turned our Manly Stinky Cheese Cake into The Québécois Cupcake. Yes, we weren't the prettiest. But that wasn't our goal. We wanted a really tasty cake that really made people stop and take a second look. A lot of people were a bit frightened. A lot more really loved the chocolatey goodness. I think we did A-OK.

To be honest, I'm still coming off the sugar rush. But can you blame me? Those cupcakes were all amazing. Congratulations to all the bakers. And an even bigger congratulations to everyone who came by and donated. A total of $2600 was raised for the H.A.V.E Cafe. You should all feel good. Except for that whole stomach ache thing. But I'm sure you expect that.

See you next year!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, look at all those lovely cupcakes! I'm drawn to the coconut-lime ones, but yours are lovely too...they have a sentimental look about them, with all those personal photo flags. Plus I like chocolate, a LOT! Congratulations for raising that impressive sum for the cause, what a supportive and talented bunch of bakers you all are.

BakingWithoutaBox said...

Oh wow! Such a sweet charity idea. And that's an awesome return for the sugar rush. Love your updated manly cupcakes. It's not always about the pretty. Mmm twisted s'more cupcake.

Monet said...

What a great charity event...and yes...all of those pictures did make me jealous! I would have wanted 5 stomachs so I could sample each one. I think your manly cupcakes were creative, daring and delicious. Winners in my book!

Shirley said...

The lime-coconut ones look sooo good! But I would have grabbed yours too... hard to pass up a pure chocolate cupcake.

Leanne said...

Omg. I work so close to there-- how did I now know this existed?! Clearly need to get my head out of the sand.

Related Posts with Thumbnails