Sunday, May 19, 2013

Dr. "Bones" McCoy's Space Supplements (Gluten Free Vegan Fudge)

When I was growing up, there was only one Star Trek universe for me. Well, there was more than one, but Voyager didn't count. Deep Space Nine sometimes counted, but only when I was really desperate. No, Next Generation was the only version of Star Trek that I was interested in. And, now that I look back at it, it's amazing that teenaged-me would have liked a show like that. It was . . . intellectual. Seeing as I was also a fan of Saved By the Bell and Boy Meets World, it's weird that I would pick up a show like Next Gen. But I did. And I loved it.

Maybe it was my first foray into science fiction. I know my Dad would love watching it as well, so maybe it was our attempt at some daughter-father TV bonding time. Or maybe it was Wil Wheaton. Because, if you were a teenaged girl in the 90s, you had a crush on Crusher. End of story.


Next Gen was the be-all, end-all of Star Trek for me. The original series never held my interest. Maybe it didn't have all those awesome 1990s special effects. I mean, the green screen shots on a couple of those episodes blew my mind. (Of course, so did the puppeteering in The Dark Crystal). But, now that I look back at it, I'm surprised that Kirk and company didn't peak my interest. I mean, while Picard was intellectually stimulating, Kirk was a bash-em-up and take their women sort of leader. Goddamn, he was cool. I'm sure having Shatner helped Kirk's image. 

JJ Abrams' new series of movies have helped spread the word of the Trek. For that, I'm thankful for. Picard is awesome, but he's not wooing many young people nowadays. Now Chris Pine, Zachary Quito, and Cumberbatch . . . they sure have the Tumblr crowd's attention. I mean, they're no 90s Wesley Crusher, but I understand the obsession.


For me, the best part of the new movies is seeing the contemporary characters take on the personas created by Roddenberry in the 60s. Simon Pegg's Scotty is amazing, but my favourite is the new Bones. His look, general attitude, and the way he spits out his lines would feel at home right next to Shatner and Nimoy.

To celebrate the new movie, and the new generation of Trekkies, we've put together our Space Supplements. These little fudge bits of goodness would be something Dr. McCoy would prescribe his crew (maybe paired with a stiff drink or two). They are vegan and gluten free, with no processed sugar - something to give you a quick-me-up before you're off fighting the Romulans. No, it doesn't come from Picard's food replicator, but it's still a little piece of Sci Fi magic.


Dr. "Bones" McCoy's Space Supplements (Gluten Free Vegan Fudge)
Makes about two dozen squares of fudge
Slightly adapted from Just Good Energy 

3/4 cup walnuts
1 cup raisins
1 cup pitted dates
1/4 cup natural smooth peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 cups shredded coconut (unsweetened)

1) Dump your walnuts, raisins, dates, peanut butter, and vanilla in your food processor. Blend until it's all chopped up and mixed. Add your cocoa powder and coconut and continue to blend until it forms a wet dough. Press into a lined 8x5 pan and cool until hard. Cut into 1" squares and keep in the fridge until you're ready to distribe to your crew.

1 comment:

Gina said...

I'm glad your put together your supplements, lol. I'm also glad you decided to return to planet crazy blogosphere. I think there are ups and downs to everything, I guess you just have to learn to ride the waves and not them suck you under. Hope you guys enjoy the holiday weekend.
-Gina-

Related Posts with Thumbnails