Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Pokeball Cookies


Mr. C and I just got back from a very long vacation. We climbed to the top of a volcano in the middle of a larger volcano. We went hunting for translucent cave bacon. We geeked out at a Shakespeare festival. Or, I geeked out at the Shakespeare festival. Theatre's in my blood, yo. 

A lot of our vacations are pretty busy. For instance, at Disneyland, we opened and closed the park. In typhoon rains. For five days. It was epic. And tiring. And so very full of blisters. But that's just how we roll. This vacation was full of hiking and travelling, but we had a lot of downtime, which was nice for a change. We even slept in until 10am one morning, which is unheard of during C&C vacation time. It was really refreshing to roll out of the bed at the hotel, turn on the tube, grab some pre-packaged oatmeal, and zone out to some cartoons.

Now, I cancelled our TV a month ago. I don't miss it much, but I do feel a little empty without my Saturday morning cartoons. I think I became a little starved for bright moving colours, because I watched everything animated while on vacation. I watched really really good shows. And some not so good shows. I even came across some old friends - which I feel like I need to talk about.


I last watched Pokemon maybe, I don't know, seventeen years ago? Was it even on that long ago? I remember Ash, Brock, and Misty galavanting around, throwing balls at other people, and making silly little creatures fight each other for no moral purpose. I loved it. I played Red and Blue and Yellow. I even went to the first movie with my little sister. So, it was quite surprising for me to come across Pokemon in my hotel. It was also quite surprising to see that Ash was touting around two new doofuses: a cute little girl with giant hair, and a "Pokemon Connoisseur". What the fuck is a "Pokemon Connoisseur"? Does he pair wine with sous vide pokemon? I mean, they have to eat pokemon. Maybe that's why they make these things fight - the losers get barbecued. That or is everyone in the universe is vegetarian.

For a pokemon throwback, we baked up these tasty, oh so sugary pokeballs for you to relive your childhood. Or, if you watch the current show, you can stuff your face and pretend you're a Pokemon Connoisseur. Because that's a thing now.


Pokeball Sugar Cookies
Makes about 16 cookies (depending on the size of your cookie cutter)

1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour 
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 teaspoon salt
red food colouring
dark chocolate melting wafers
white chocolate melting wafers

1) In your mixer, whip together your butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add your egg, then your vanilla, and continue to mix until completely incorporated. In a separate bowl, sift together your flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir your dry ingredients into your wet ones with a wooden spoon until it starts to forms a dough. Stop and divide your dough in half - take half of it out and form into a disc, cover completely with plastic wrap, and place in the fridge to cool. Add some red food colouring to the other half and mix with your mixer (a paddle attachment is best) until the colour is distributed throughout. Smoosh it into a disc, cover with plastic wrap, and cool in the refrigerator with the other dough for at least a half hour.

2) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Roll out your plain dough to about a quarter inch thick. Use a circle cookie cutter (I used my 2.5" circle) and cut out your cookies. With a knife, cut each circle in half. Do the same with your red dough. On your cookie sheet, carefully piece together a half of a red circle and a half of a plain circle. You can mush it a little with your fingers to make sure the pieces stick together. Bake for about 6 to 8 minutes, or until your cookies start getting a little golden. When they come out of the oven, place one white chocolate melting wafer right in the middle of your cookie. Let everything cool completely, then pipe your dark chocolate melting wafers across the middle of your pokeball and around the white chocolate wafer. Let the chocolate harden, then try to capture small creature with them. Or eat them. Whatever. 

1 comment:

Piotr LA said...

Exceptionally valuable information.
c 1000 plus

Related Posts with Thumbnails