Monday, April 23, 2012

Vegan Cheerio PB Banana Cookies


pbcherriobanana

We've been a bit AWOL lately. If you've connected with our facebook and twitter, I've mentioned that I've been feeling a bit under the weather lately. And by "bit under the weather", I mean that a large percentage my blood went missing. Mysteriously.

The funny thing is, I didn't feel any different. I was still running my 5k a day and dead-lifting my body weight like a boss. I got a call from my doctor, letting me know that I should be going through heart failure right now. I informed her I just finished a pretty heavy session of yoga and felt like I wanted to go for a run. I think the doctor went through a little heart failure herself after that.

So I had to put the breaks on a bit this week. They have me some pretty heavy supplements so I can grow me some more healthy blood. Let me tell you, 900mg of iron a day is pretty brutal. Not only do I feel like my stomach and liver is about to explode, my heart is pumping away like I'm running a marathon and I can breathe as deep as a fifty year old smoker. Funny that the stuff that is suppose to make you feel better makes you feel a whole lot worse.

I haven't really been able to get up and into my kitchen lately, but, luckily, I have a couple recipes in my back pocket. This one is really close to my heart, if only because I eat it every morning. Well, I eat something like it every morning. I wake up, cut exactly fifteen slices of banana into my bowl, then dunk any extra in peanut butter. I then dump some Cherrios on top and enjoy my lovely little concoction with the latest copy of my teacher magazine. It's not worth getting out of bed without this breakfast. And now I can have it as a dessert as well.


pbcherriobanana (6)
Vegan Cheerio PB Banana Cookies
Adapted from Fat Free Vegan Kitchen
 Makes about a dozen cookies

1/2 cup natural peanut butter (chunky)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup sugar
1 large banana (very ripe and mashed)
1 cup AP flour
1/2 whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup Cheerios

 1) Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. With your electric mixer, whip together your peanut butter and both sugars until creamy. Add the banana and mix well, making sure there are no chunks left over. Sift in both flours, baking powder, and salt. With a wooden spoon, stir until your batter comes together. Add the Cherrios, and then mix a couple of times until the cereal is evenly distributed throughout the batter.

2) Roll the dough into golf-ball sized balls and place on your cookie sheet. Flatten slightly with your hand or a fork. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until golden brown and cooked all the way through. Enjoy the breakfast of champions.

7 comments:

Beth said...

Sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well, and I hope you're better soon.

I made my first ever vegan cookies this week, and I was so pleased with the way they turned out!

Jennifer @ Not Your Momma's Cookie said...

I hope you feel better soon! These cookies sound yummy :)

Unknown said...

Courtney, I hope you feel better really soon! Can't have you feeling sick and not in the kitchen! lol..see, its all about me. The cookies sound good, interesting, but good! xo
J

Kim of Mo Betta said...

My kids love these....I've made a version of them anyway. Can't beat cookies for breakfast! I hope the docs are investigating your low blood counts - sounds scary! Taking iron makes me SO sick, hope everything gets back to norm soon!

PinayinTexas said...

Banana and peanut butter is my favorite combo! I would love munching on these cookies!
Hope you're feeling a lot better now. Take care!

Ally said...

Get better soon! Love your cookie recipe... can't wait to try it!
xo
http://allykayler.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Where are you? I'm concerned that I haven't heard or seen any postings from you in five weeks.. Send me an email...Jackie
xo

Related Posts with Thumbnails