Sunday, February 5, 2012

Spelt Quick Bread

The Super Bowl mystifies me. It's constantly the most watched American television program in the world (which, I guess I understand, considering the other sort of television that's on the air). But why? Are there really that many football fans out there? I doubt it. I would bet good money that almost half of the people watching the game today hasn't even watched a regular season game this year. I bet you more than half couldn't name you more than five players on each team.


speltbread (4)


So why do people watch? The commercials are a big one, I realize, but you can always watch them online at your own convenience, without that pesky football getting in the way. I mean, in Canada, we don't even get the American commercials - I think TD and Timmy's were playing ads in continuous loops last year. 

What about the halftime show? Seriously? Do you even remember what happened last year? Ridiculousness. 

I guess the only other reason would be the food. Today is one of the few days where it is socially acceptable to stuff your face full of chicken wings and blue cheese. The amount of "Super Bowl" recipes out there are insane. Ladies (and Gentlemen - hopefully!) slave in the kitchen creating little deep fried finger foods and buckets of dips just so hordes of goons can gain ten pounds in one sitting.

I'm here to tell you it's okay to let go. It's okay to admit you really don't give two flying fricks about Tom Brady. Or that other guy on the other team. See, I'm not even going to waste my time to look it up. Why not go out for the day - everywhere will be empty - and enjoy a football free day?

And, if your boys want to stay home and watch "The Big Game", give them a loaf of this bread and tell them to make their own goddamn sandwiches.


speltbread (6)


Spelt Quick Bread
recipe adapted from Chowhound

3 cups spelt flour
1 cup whole wheat flower
1/4 cup sesame seeds
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 Tablespoon blackstrap molasses
1 Tablespoon maple syrup
2 cups + 2 Tablespoons milk

1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Sift together your two flours. Add your other dry ingredients - sesame seeds, salt, and baking soda - and whisk together. Add your wet ingredients - molasses, maple syrup, and almond milk. Stir with a wooden spoon until just combined.

2) Pour batter into a oiled 9x5 bread pan. Bake for about 60-70 minutes, or until the internal temperature of your bread is in between 190 and 200. Cool before serving.

2 comments:

Lora said...

This post cracked me up because I'm firmly planted in the "could care less about the superbowl" camp as well. No idea. No clue of who is who, what' what, who's playing, etc. Just. Don't. Care.

I do however love anything spelt ("dinkel" in German) and love this quick bread recipe. One of the things I miss about living in the States now is all the great spelt products readily available in Germany. This bread looks perfect.

Monet said...

We got a few minutes of the SuperBowl while munching on pizza at our favorite parlor last night. I'm glad it was a just a few! Thank you for sharing this spelt bread...and thank you for all the support. It means more to me than you know. Hugs and love from Austin.

Related Posts with Thumbnails