Sunday, October 31, 2010

The Movember Manly Cupcake Challenge

Prostate Cancer has no ribbons. Testicular Cancer has no large walks for charity. They have no pink shoelaces, pink hockey sticks, or pink fire trucks. Lets be honest, they really don't get as much attention as their female counterparts. I guess no one wants to think of testicles when they're buying yogurt or gym clothes. This is unfortunate. Prostate Cancer occurs in every 1 in 6 men in Canada, but it receives less than half the research funds that are available to Breast Cancer. Now, I love boobies. I have a pair of them myself. But this imbalance of funds and public exposure is a bit odd to me. Every woman knows they should go for mammograms and pap smears, but does your male counterpart know how to check himself for testicular cancer? 

The Movember Foundation has made a move to really make the public aware of male health issues that have remained in the shadows for way too long. Started in 2003 by a bunch of soused Australians, Movember is an annual month long celebration of the supreme symbol of manliness - the mustache. During November, men from all over the globe dedicate themselves to growing an awe-inspiring mo' while raising funds and awareness for all men's health issues, such as prostate cancer, testicular cancer, and male depression. 

Wonderful idea. But I have a wee bit of a problem with it. I can't grow a mustache. I'm sure I could pull off a wicked uni-brow if I lost my tweezers , but I do not have the power to produce a mo. But I do have the power to bake a sweet-ass cupcake.

This is why C&C Cakery has decided to run a cupcake contest for this awesome month. Ladies and Gentlemen, may I introduce you to:


Yes! Now it's time for us to spread awareness for manly problems with manly cupcakes. It is up to you to create the most manly cupcake you can - either with testosterone-filled ingredients or your super-butch decorating skills. Mos are optional, but totally encouraged. Please visit our challenge main page for all the rules!

Here's the 'deets:
From now until November 21th, bake up some amazingly unique cupcakes that have a real manly attitude. This could be reflected in the recipe, the taste, or the decorations. Really, this part is open to your interpretation, so be as creative as you want to be!

When you have the perfect recipe, post it on your blog with lots of lovely pictures. We encourage you to also include your favourite men's health charity in your blog - remember, this contest is about raising awareness and money for charity! Send your blog link, name, cupcake discription, and two of your favourite pictures to us at cccakery@gmail.com in order to be officially entered into the contest. You should also join our Movember Charity Team and start collecting donations! Make sure that you have all the requirements on your blog post (including the sponser's list!) - double check on our main contest page!

On November 22st, we will post the final manly cupcake round-up here. The public will be able to vote for their favourite cupcake until the 26th. Each person who has entered a cupcake will also get vote for their favourite entry. On the weekend, we will be baking up The People's Choice, The Bakers' Choice,  as well as C&C's Choice. These three cupcake finalists will be judged by our panel of cupcake connoisseurs, who will look at taste, uniqueness, as well as the original pictures presented to us. The winner will be announced on November 30th. 

Now, what's in it for me, you ask. I'm getting there. This year, we've got some amazing prices lined up for you! This includes:

A $15 Gift Certificate to Blush Printables. Jen creates beautiful couture stationary - including invitations, cards, labels, and envelope wraps. Perfect for a do-it-yourself bride or party planner! Check out her blog for more information!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Every finalist will receive a box of Sweet Stands from Hello Hanna! Anne Schultz and Jina Choi are an amazing pair who love to create whimsical items for the kid in us all. 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Death by Chocolate was happy to donate 12 edible hand cut and painted Mustache cupcake or cookie toppers. You can check out more of Jennifer's yummy work on her flickr account!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
The amazing and talented Elise (the lady who designed our Manly Cupcake Logo) is donating a hand painted ornament with Colonel Cupcake on it. If ever you are ever in need of a portrait, illustration, or general design work, make sure you keep Elise in mind!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Taralee from Taraduff is providing this amazing knitted bearded beanie. This lady is a master of the toque - you really should check out her esty and blog for pictures of the cutest kid beanies ever!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Vancouver-based Miss Kitty Creations will be donating a Movember special addition Tuxedo Cupcake Charm. Each one of Wendie's Charms are hand crafted and feature a lovely sweet sent. I wonder what Movember smells like?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~




The super posh Bella Cupcake Couture will be donating a pack of beautiful wrappers to each finalist, as well as an extra pack to the winner. This may include their brand new cameo wrapper - tres manly, girls! Love it! You can see more cupcake couture at their blog!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


The madly talented Drama Llama Knit Company will be creating a handmade mystery stuffed friend for the winner. Now, if you check out Alison's esty store or blog, you'll be absolutely flabbergasted over what this little lady creates in her small home. Believe me, her stuffed friends are to. die. for.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


My Creative Side has the perfect mo' toppers for Movember! Kim will be donating a variety of 2 dozen mustaches on sticks. These are perfect for parties and celebrates - though I would totally just carry one around with me at all times (you know, just in case). Check out her esty store for more! 

------------------------------------------------------

Wowwy wow wow! What an amazing haul, man! So what are you waiting for - check out our official rules page and get to baking!

Please take some time to visit the Movember main page and learn more about what we can do to promote men's health and cancer research!

7 comments:

Sugary Flower said...

Sounds like a great idea! One question about the voting process: In the "Bakers Choice" category, I'm assuming that the bakers in question are not permitted to vote for their own entry? (otherwise I'm guessing each cuppie will get exactly one vote in this category!)

C&C Cakery said...

Yep - bakers will not be able to vote for their own. (I hope that goes without saying!)

Monet said...

Thank you for sharing this! I completely agree that it is important that we bring light to these less "popular" cancers. I'm excited to participate in this.

Lina Thomlinson said...

This is such a great idea and since you're the one hosting it's being done with flair! Everything from the concept to your mustached cupcakes has got me excited about this. I hope I can come up with something good since I definitely want to support the cause. Only trouble is I'm not in touch with my manly side enough to have any immediate inspiration. Clearly I'll have to give this some thought. Maybe a week spent neglecting the laundry and watching cage fighting will get me in the right frame of mine. And bless your little heart for making "no cake mix" part of the rules. I am so tired of seeing tantalizing cupcake flavors out there that use cake mixes, thus ruining my desire to ever try the recipe.

alex said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
alex said...

Aw man. I might have to start updating my cooking blog again, just so I can play in this. I probably won't win, but Movember Cupcakes! Which of course means I will need to bake more so I can post on my blog.
C&C is trying to make me fat. I know your secret plan to fatten us up and then cook and eat us. Vegetarian, my shoe.

Unknown said...

You betcha I'm entering this contest. Not so much to win any of the prizes but to show you my support for this great cause. Wonderful Idea!! Bravo!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails